Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
Personal Injury Lawyers
Personal Injury Lawyers
If you've been injured at the hand of another, you may be considering hiring a personal injury lawyer. But should you?
When To Hire Personal Injury Lawyers
There are many types of personal injury accidents. With some, it may make more sense to hire a personal injury lawyer than others. Let's look at the most common.
If you've been involved in a car accident, you should first contact your own insurance company. If you live in a no-fault state, your insurance company will handle your claim. No fault means you do not need to prove someone caused your accident. However, some no-fault states will allow you to sue the other driver if your injury-related medical bills and property damage exceed your policy limits.
If you live in a fault state, you can depend on the other driver's insurance to cover your injuries and car repairs -- if the other driver's insurance company agrees its client caused the accident. Even if the other driver's insurance company cooperates, you will not get compensation for any pain and suffering or other non-economic damages that are harder to tabulate.
In the event of an auto accident in a fault state, you should consider hiring a personal injury attorney if:
- You want to collect money for pain and suffering
- The other driver's insurance limits are too low to cover all of your damages
- The other driver's insurance company disputes its client is at fault
Boating Accidents And Trucking Accidents
Boating and trucking accidents may seem similar to automobile accidents. However, the laws governing boats and trucks are different and complex. They may involve both state and federal laws.
Slip-And-Fall Accidents And Dog Bites
Insurance policies often cover for injuries that their clients' property causes, whether that's a slippery floor or a dog bite. However, the insurance companies may try to deny your claim by saying you contributed to your own injury. For example, maybe you missed a caution sign by recently mopped floor or you agitated the dog before it bit you.
Having a personal injury lawyer can help you prove a property owner is at fault for your injuries. A personal injury lawyer can walk you through the litigation process to help you clinch a favorable settlement or jury award.
Medical Malpractice And Product Liability Claims
If you've been hurt by a medical professional or product you used, you should speak to a medical malpractice or personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. These types of lawsuits are harder to prove and you need the help of an experienced lawyer at your side. You should not consider pursuing a claim against a healthcare professional or a company without a lawyer.
Sue For It Or Lose It
Your state's laws dictate how long after an accident you have to file a lawsuit. These deadlines are found in the state's statute of limitations. The deadline for one type of case - say, a car accident -- may be different from the statute of limitations for other types of cases, such as product liability cases.
If a deadline passes you by and you fail to file a lawsuit, you lose your ability to seek compensation. You should talk to personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after the incident that caused the injury. Learn more about some personal injury frequently asked questions.
When To Call A Personal Injury Lawyer
Here are some good rules of thumb for when you might need a personal injury lawyer. Call one if:
- You have injuries that may require surgery or long-term treatment, such as physical therapy
- Your injuries may leave you permanently impaired
- Your injuries have caused you to miss more than a few days of work
- You have any type of head or brain injury
- You have a prior injury or medical condition that may have been aggravated by the new injury
- The other party's lawyer contacts you to discuss a settlement, because you should probably have your own attorney to negotiate for you
- Will My Personal Injury Lawsuit Go To Trial
- What Kind Of Settlement Should I Expect From My Personal Injury Case
- What To Expect From An Initial Consultation With A Personal Injury Lawyer
- What Can I Do To Get The Best Possible Result In My Personal Injury Case
- What Kind Of Paperwork Or Documentation Do I Need If Injured In A Car Accident