Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now
Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.
Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Medical Malpractice Lawyers
If you've been misdiagnosed or suffered an injury at the hands of a doctor, nurse or hospital, you may be wondering whether you have grounds to sue. A medical malpractice lawyer can review the specific facts of your situation, tell you whether you have a valid case and represent you in court.
What Is Medical Malpractice
Medical malpractice occurs when a healthcare worker is negligent, and that negligence causes injury or death. To qualify as malpractice, several conditions must exist. Medical malpractice lawyers can explain these conditions in more detail, but there may be a medical malpractice case if:
- The healthcare professional failed to adhere to the standard of care
- The patient was injured or died as a result of that mistake
The "standard of care" is the generally accepted method of treating similar patients with the same condition in a particular part of the country. For example, the standard of care for treating a 40-year-old man with lung cancer might not be the same as the standard of care for treating a 90-year-old with lung cancer. Or the standard of care for treating a 60-year-old woman with heart disease in Texas might not be the same as the standard of care for treating a 60-year-old woman with heart disease in New York. Your medical malpractice lawyer can explain the standard of care as it applies to your specific situation.
What Does A Medical Malpractice Lawyer Do
Medical malpractice lawsuits are complicated and can take years to resolve. When you hire medical malpractice lawyers to represent you, they can focus on your lawsuit while you focus on your own health. Your medical malpractice lawyer can:
- Gather and review the evidence in your case
- Explain your legal options
- Calculate the value of your case
- Attempt to negotiate a legal settlement
- File a lawsuit against the doctor, hospital and/or other healthcare providers involved in your case, if necessary
- Represent you in court
The Benefits Of Hiring Medical Malpractice Lawyers
There are a number of benefits to hiring medical malpractice lawyers, rather than attempting to sue the healthcare professionals on your own.
Medical malpractice lawyers will be knowledgeable about malpractice and personal injury laws in your state. They're also likely to know the defendant's lawyers as well as the judge who will hear your case and expert witnesses that will testify. That experience is invaluable, because those who are not familiar with the legal system are more likely to make mistakes.
Your medical malpractice lawyer will also understand your medical condition and the injuries you've suffered. He or she will know the long-term effects of the medical mistake, and have a good understanding of the cost of medical care and treatment. This knowledge helps ensure you get a financial settlement that accurately compensates you for your injury.
Finally, medical malpractice lawyers have the experience to determine whether you have a strong or weak case. They'll be able to recommend when it makes sense to settle or if you should take your case to trial.
- Why Does the Standard of Care Vary from Patient to Patient?
- When The FDA Finds A Drug That Has An Insufficient Warning Label
- What To Do If Your Child Suffered Injuries Caused By A Doctor's Medical Malpractice
- What To Do When A Doctor Performs The Wrong Surgery On You
- What To Do If My Doctor Gives Me The Wrong Prescription Medication