Legal Articles
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now

Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.

Will I Be Deported if I Have an Employer-Sponsored Green Card & Leave the Company?

Will I Be Deported if I Have an Employer-Sponsored Green Card & Leave the Company?

One way to become a permanent U.S. resident is to obtain an employer-sponsored green card. However, many workers worry that that employer sponsorship means they'll be permanently obligated to work for the company that sponsored them. That's not the case.

Changing Jobs After Obtaining a Green Card

In the United States, most jobs are "at will," meaning you are free to quit and your employer is free to terminate you at any time and for almost any reason.

Alternately, you may have an employment contract. A job contract is legally binding on both the employee and the employer. If you quit in violation of the contract, your former employer may take legal action against you. Similarly, if you are terminated in violation of the contact, you can take legal action against your employer. You should talk to an employment attorney before quitting your job if you have an employment contract, or talk to a lawyer if you think you've been terminated in violation of your contract.

Assuming your employment is at will, you are free to quit your job at any time after having been granted permanent residency. However, if you quit immediately after obtaining your green card, it may draw some scrutiny from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services if you later try to obtain citizenship.

You don't want to do anything to jeopardize your permanent resident status. If you obtained a green card through your job, talk to an immigration lawyer before quitting your job.

Visit LawyerLocator to learn more about immigration law or to locate an immigration lawyer in your area.