Legal Articles
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now

Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.

What Is Temporary Protected Status

What Is Temporary Protected Status

The way immigration works, you have to apply for a temporary visa before you can enter the United States. This visa expires within the year, so you have to either leave the United States before then or apply for a longer-term visa to continue working and living in this country. However, if you are living in the United States as an immigrant and a major catastrophic event occurs in your country of origin, you may be able to receive temporary protected status.

Temporary protected status says that you don't have to leave the United States until the catastrophe in your home country is resolved. For instance, if war breaks out, you don't have to leave the country. If there is a massive earthquake and major infrastructural damage, you may remain in the United States without worrying about applying for a long-term visa.

How Do I Get Temporary Protected Status

First, you have to see if your home country is on the protected countries list. If you have been living in the United States since the date the country was added to the list, if you are a national of said country, and if you file during the appropriate registration or re-registration period, you can receive temporary protected status. Please note that if any of the following items applies, your application will be rejected:

  • You are a convicted felon or have committed two or more misdemeanors
  • You are inadmissible as an immigrant for other reasons
  • You are barred from seeking asylum in the United States
  • You fail to register or re-register in the applicable time period

Consult With an Immigration Lawyer

Immigrants or visitors to the United States from any of the protected countries should seriously consider applying for temporary protected status. The latest addition to the list was Syria in March 27, 2012, following massive conflicts across the country. The conflicts in Syria have made the country nearly unlivable in some regions, and if you don't want to risk deportation, applying for temporary protected status is the only way to go. If you are concerned about the details, contact an immigration attorney today for more information.