Legal Articles
Get Started Finding a Local Attorney Now

Simply fill out this form to connect with an Attorney serving your area.

Can I Clear A DUI or DWI from My Driving Record

Can I Clear A DUI or DWI from My Driving Record

Your driving record is much like your credit report; offenses are marked on the record and stay there for a very long time.

How Long

It is commonly thought that DUI/DWI citations only stay on a person's driving record for a specified amount of time. This is not true. A citation for DUI or DWI will stay on your driving record for the rest of your life. However, every state is different, and to find out exactly how long they remain in your state, please contact a local DUI/DWI attorney.

Driving Record Vs. Criminal Record

Keep in mind that if you are pulled over, given a ticket and arrested for DUI/DWI that is what shows on your driving record. If the charges are dropped, you are acquitted, or you are found guilty, it shows up on your criminal record. They are two different things, and they behave differently. Here we are talking strictly about your driving record, not your criminal record.

What Is My Driving Record

Your driving record is also called an MVR, or motor vehicle record. When you apply for insurance or a job and they want to pull your MVR, the records they receive from the Department of Motor Vehicles usually go back no further than 7 years. Therefore, if your DUI/DWI occurred more than 7 years before you request the records, then it is most likely that it will not show up; if your DUI/DWI happened less than 7 years before the request though, it will show up. That doesn't mean that you are out of the woods though. If the request is for the entire record, there is no way to avoid it showing up.

So What Can I Clear

It is impossible to remove a DUI/DWI from your driving record. It is something that happened, and you cannot unring that bell. Your criminal record, however, may be a different story. Typically you can have your criminal record sealed or expunged, depending on the circumstances. To find out more about sealing or expunging your criminal record, contact a criminal defense attorney to help you.