Build Your Business Drop to LL.com Full View
Talk to a Lawyer Today
- Find Divorce Lawyers, Divorce & Separation Attorney Finder
- What You Need to Know About Divorce and Immigration
- Unemployment, Underemployment & Earning Capacity: Factors of Income Imputation
- The Rights of Non-Custodial Parents to Visit Children
- Calculating Income According to Child Support Guidelines
- When Should You Consider Collaborative Divorce?
- More Divorce Articles
Lessons To Learn From Celebrity Divorce Cases
While we may look at celebrity divorces in the news and roll our eyes, considering them to be completely set apart from anything meaningful to our lives, there are some lessons we can learn from celebrities as they go through their difficult times in the public eye. While they may have more fame and money than they know what to do with, they are as human as we are, and their emotions, processes and choices may mirror ours in many ways.
What You Should Learn
Read on for a short list of common celebrity divorce issues that you should definitely consider.
- Cameron Crowe and Nancy Wilson ended their marriage through a process known as collaborative divorce, as did Robin Williams and Marcia Graves. This process does not involve the courts at all, and divorce agreements are made without litigation. This may be less stressful for everyone involved.
- Courteney Cox and David Arquette separated in October 2010 but have not yet divorced. In mid-2011, Arquette conducted interviews with "shock jock" talk show hosts like Howard Stern and bragged extensively about his sex life outside of his marriage. While he later apologized for this string of remarks, he could have been forced to give extra spousal support due to his proven infidelity to the marriage. Remember that anything you say in the public sphere, whether on the Internet or at the water cooler, can be used against you in divorce court.
- Money is one of the most bitter issues in divorce proceedings. In the divorce of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver, the couple disagreed over the need for alimony payments.
- Alimony is designed to provide the less fortunate spouse with a similar standard of living as in the marriage. If emotions get hot, it is best to step back and let your attorneys and the judge handle conversations about finances. A divorce can be contentious, but it doesn't have to be nasty.
The First Step
The final lesson that celebrities going through a divorce can teach us is that a divorce attorney can be our greatest ally. You never hear of any celebrity divorce without divorce lawyers. The New York courts system website offers a list of common forms you will have to fill out, and there are financial plans to establish and court appearances to make.
Whether this is your first divorce or whether you're on ex number four or more, the process is never going to be easy. A good lawyer will be there with you every step of the way.