Build Your Business Drop to LL.com Full View
Talk to a Lawyer Today
Auto Accidents Resources
- Find Car Accident Lawyers - Auto Accident Attorney Locator
- Loss Categories in Auto Accidents: Damages, Injuries, Disability & Death
- How to File a Lawsuit for Medical Expenses After a Car Accident
- How Attorneys Arrive at Settlements in Auto Accident Cases
- Does Seatbelt Use Affect Liability & Damages?
- When Recalled Autos & Manufacturer Defects Cause Accidents
- More Auto Accidents Articles
What To Do After A Car Accident With A Commercial Vehicle
Any car accident is bad news. In a split second you could experience physical and psychological injuries that may affect you for the rest of your life. A collision with a commercial vehicle presents additional complications. Behind every commercial vehicle is a company that does not want to compensate you for your injuries even if it's clear they were at fault. But with a few simple actions, you can increase your chances of receiving the compensation you deserve.
Immediately After A Car Accident
In any collision, stay calm and remember these key points. You can collect information that will be helpful if you decide to seek compensation in the future.
If you have not hit your head and are able to move around safely, call the police on your cell phone. Ask your passengers and the commercial driver if they're okay. Give the commercial driver your insurance information and license number, and take his. If you have a camera, take pictures of both vehicles. Ask witnesses what they saw. As soon as possible, write down everything you remember about the accident, including minor details. Ask passengers to write their recollections. When receiving medical treatment, have pictures taken of your injuries.
Accidents With Commercial Vehicles
Even if the driver of the commercial vehicle was at fault, you will find this difficult to prove on your own without the help of an experienced commercial vehicle accident lawyer. The company that owns the truck will do everything they can to blame you for the crash. In reality, several people may be at fault:
- The driver may have been speeding, driving recklessly or be on drugs
- The driver may have been tired due to overwork and lack of sleep
- The brakes might have gone out, or some other mechanical failure may have occurred. This is the responsibility of the company's repair crew, or the vehicle manufacturer
The laws which govern commercial vehicle insurance vary by state. There are also federal laws. If the company is proved to be in violation of any of these laws, you could collect substantial compensation.
A commercial vehicle accident lawyer will first look at the information you collected at the scene. He or she will access the driver's logs and safety record, cell phone records, vehicle inspection records, and many other pieces of evidence to build a case in your favor. Your lawyer will be with you at depositions and court appearances. You'll have help filling out paperwork and filing court papers. This way, you stand a good chance of receiving the maximum amount of money possible. You'll be able to pay for medical treatments, repairs or replacement of your car, and psychological counseling for pain and suffering.