Build Your Business Drop to LL.com Full View
Talk to a Lawyer Today
Auto Accidents Resources
- Find Car Accident Lawyers - Auto Accident Attorney Locator
- Loss Categories in Auto Accidents: Damages, Injuries, Disability & Death
- How to File a Lawsuit for Medical Expenses After a Car Accident
- How Attorneys Arrive at Settlements in Auto Accident Cases
- Does Seatbelt Use Affect Liability & Damages?
- When Recalled Autos & Manufacturer Defects Cause Accidents
- More Auto Accidents Articles
The Specialized Legal Practice Field of Auto Accident Representation
If you've been injured in a car crash that was someone else's fault, don't hire just any personal injury lawyer. You need an experienced attorney who focuses his or her practice on representing auto accident victims.
Four Reasons Why Auto Accident Litigation Is Unique
Automobile accidents are commonplace, so you might mistakenly assume that any attorney could handle a car crash lawsuit. But that's not the case. Here are four things that make auto accident lawsuits different from other types of personal injury cases:
- Auto accident cases require specialized legal knowledge. Not only must your lawyer know the personal injury laws in the state in which you were injured, but your lawyer may also need to be familiar with local, state and national transportation law.
- You may need experts to testify at trial. If your personal injury lawsuit goes to trial, your attorney may need experts in auto accident reconstruction and crash-data retrieval to testify on your behalf or to refute evidence presented by the defendant. But these experts must be hired and knowledgeable about your case long before arriving in court. A lawyer will know what kinds of expert testimony is necessary in your case. Your attorney will also have existing relationships with many of the top car crash experts in the area.
- Your case may also involve issues related to product liability, wrongful death and property destruction. A personal injury lawyer who represents all types of accident victims—from medical malpractice to slip and fall—may not be as familiar with these areas of the law as an attorney specializing in accidents.
- An automobile accident lawyer will also be accustomed to working with insurance companies. If you're hit by an uninsured or underinsured motorist, or if a passenger in your car was also injured, you may also have to fight with your insurance company and the insurer of the driver who hit you. An experienced car crash attorney will understand the insurance issues and help you address them.