Build Your Business Drop to LL.com Full View
Talk to a Lawyer Today
Auto Accidents Resources
- Find Car Accident Lawyers - Auto Accident Attorney Locator
- Loss Categories in Auto Accidents: Damages, Injuries, Disability & Death
- How to File a Lawsuit for Medical Expenses After a Car Accident
- How Attorneys Arrive at Settlements in Auto Accident Cases
- Does Seatbelt Use Affect Liability & Damages?
- When Recalled Autos & Manufacturer Defects Cause Accidents
- More Auto Accidents Articles
How To Pick The Right Lawyer For An Auto Accident Case
Choosing an attorney to represent you in an auto accident case is an important decision because making a bad choice can mean the difference between a favorable outcome in the case and an unfavorable one.
Step One: Make a Qualified List
Make a list of lawyers in your area that handle auto accidents specifically. You wouldn't call your plumber to help you with your cavity, so don't call a criminal defense attorney to help you with your car accident claim.
Step Two: Research
Start at the top of the list and Google each attorney's name. Read up on them. Learn about where they went to law school, what areas they practice in, and how long they've been a lawyer. Do they have a history of going to trial or settling out of court? Look and see what others say about them online. If you can, see if you can find any past clients of theirs and contact them to see what they thought of the attorney's performance. Cross lawyers off your list who are inexperienced, those who aren't prepared to go trial if necessary, or those who do not win their cases.
Step Three: The Final Four
Narrow your list down to your top four favorites. Call their offices and set up consultation appointments with them. Be ready to tell them the details of your case and prepare questions for them like:
- Are you a member of the Trial Lawyers Association or the American Association for Justice?
- How many car accident cases have you had?
- How many of them went to trial?
- How many of them settled out of court?
- Have you handled cases similar to mine? What were the outcomes?
Step Four: Make a Decision
After visiting your top four, make your final decision on which attorney you want to represent you in your car accident case. Choose the one with the most experience handling cases like yours; make sure she isn't afraid to go to trial if needed and that you can discuss your case with him as needed. Make another appointment with your favorite to see if they will take you and your case on as their client.